We are open - safety is our top priority!
For patients who suffer from any of a variety of types of oral lesions, Taheri Dental Group of Woodbridge can deliver traditional treatment options and advanced laser dentistry for these issues. Our oral lesions treatment options are designed specifically to suit your needs and to relieve pain and discomfort as quickly as possible. We can provide you with laser dentistry treatment regimens that will help you manage these issues quickly and effectively. The dentists at Taheri Dental Group of Woodbridge are committed to the highest standards of dental excellence. We stay current with the latest treatment options and advanced technologies to help our patients enjoy brighter smiles in Woodbridge. If you or any member of your family has oral lesions, we can deliver the right treatment options for you.
What Causes Oral Lesions?
Viruses, bacterial infections and injuries are among the most common reasons for developing dental lesions in Woodbridge. At Taheri Dental Group of Woodbridge, we go beyond just treating the symptoms and can actually remove the injured or infected tissue through surgery or laser dentistry treatment. This can help you to address lesion issues much more quickly and effectively. Our team will work with you to determine the best course of action for your situation and your dental health needs.
The Types of Oral Lesions
Lesions that appear on the mouth, lips or gums are often caused by viral infections that can also have systemic effects:
- Cold sores are a symptom of an infection with herpes simplex virus type 1 or 2. These painful fever blisters can appear inside the mouth but are usually much more common just outside the lips. Cold sores are extremely common and can be a real source of embarrassment for some of the patients we see at Taheri Dental Group of Woodbridge. Laser therapies can remove the injured and infected portion of the cold sore to speed up the healing process.
- Canker sores usually appear on the soft tissues of the mouth or at the base of your gums. These types of oral lesions can be caused by stress, injuries caused by biting the inside of your cheek or by consuming acidic or spicy foods. In some cases, canker sores can cause severe pain to the patients we treat in the Woodbridge area.
- Patients who have been infected with the human papillomavirus, better known as HPV, can sometimes develop oral lesions in the mouth, throat or on the gums. These lesions are considered to be precancerous growths that must usually be removed to prevent serious and ongoing complications that could affect your health and well-being. Our dental team will work with you to determine the best course of action for addressing HPV lesions that affect the tissues of your mouth or your gums.
- Hemangiomas are usually present from birth and consist of a cluster of superfluous blood vessels that create a red and rubbery patch on the skin. While these birthmarks are not technically lesions, they can be treated with laser therapies to remove them and to prevent any further issues with your appearance or the functionality of your gums and the tissues of your mouth. Our dentists will work with you to determine the best and most effective way to remove lesions and to reduce their impact on your appearance and your degree of pain or discomfort.
Your Options for Oral Lesions Treatment
At Taheri Dental Group of Woodbridge, we will typically start with traditional and more conservative treatment options for lesions. These may include topical applications, antiviral medications and changes in dietary habits. Many of our patients, however, are good candidates for laser dentistry for oral lesions. These treatment options offer some real benefits for you and your family members when dealing with lesions in the mouth, on the gums or around the lips.
Advantages of Laser Dentistry Options for Lesions
Some of the most important benefits of laser therapies for lesions include the following:
- Laser procedures usually take less than an hour to complete. Patients will usually see results immediately after their procedure.
- Healing and recovery can be much faster than with traditional lesion excision methods. The lasers used in these treatments are highly accurate and can reduce the amount of healthy tissue that is removed or damaged through the process. This will help you to feel better more quickly after your procedure.
- Because the injured or infected tissue is removed completely, you can expect fewer recurrences of the issue in the same area.
- Laser therapies reduce or eliminate the need for anesthesia. They can also reduce the amount of pain medication required after the procedure is complete.
To learn more about our treatment options for dental lesions, call Taheri Dental Group of Woodbridge at (703) 584-5028 to schedule your first appointment with us. We look forward to the opportunity to provide you with excellent dental care in Woodbridge and the surrounding areas.